The Spirit of God often shows up in the ordinary faithfulness of those gathered in the name of Jesus.
In a gathering of the Brethren on August 13, 1727, the Holy Spirit so filled the hearts of the brothers and sisters at Berthelsdorf that they “felt not far”¹ from the Lord. Through the familiar rhythms of singing, praying, blessing and communion–this congregation, a congregation who knew about hardship and diverse points of view, experienced the presence of a God who teaches us to love.
As we celebrate the festival of August 13th may we embrace the same unity of spirit that is awakened in us as we follow a Savior who redeems, while sharing this good news of love with our world.
Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!
…For there the LORD has commanded the blessing, life forevermore.
-from Psalm 133
¹“We Learned to Love: August 13, 1727.” This Month in Moravian History, no. Issue 67 (2011): 1.
Photography: Mike Riess, Editor, Moravian Magazine. Pictures taken from a recent Moravian Heritage tour, Summer 2015.
Blog: Sarah Hubbard